Friday, February 22, 2013

The Library Issue

So here's what's going to happen, probably today, and if not, then probably tomorrow: I'm going to go out to the store and buy a Wii U. The thing costs 350 bucks (there's a cheaper one, but I think it's missing a lot of components,) and that doesn't include the 50 for the first game (Mario Bros. U, obviously.)

There was a time when Nintendo systems had most of the AAA titles. In fact, up through the Gamecube, most big non-exclusives were released on all three platforms. With the Wii, given the very different control scheme and the fact that it was almost a full generation behind in terms of power, the AAA games started going only to Microsoft and Sony.

Nintendo wants the Wii U to re-enter that arena, bolstered by the financial success of the Wii.

The thing about the Wii is that in some ways, I think it was a great system, and in some ways, I think it was awful:

Nintendo really opened up a new market of casual gaming. Combined with the lowered price tag, the Wii was the designated "second system" for most hardcore gamers, and the only one for a lot of casuals. The odd result is that even though the Wii was not taken as seriously by both the industry and the core demographic, it managed to sell really well.

On the other hand, take a look at the Wii section of a store: 95% of that stuff is utter crap, compared to about 75% for the other systems. There are so many cash-in tie-ins, cheap-looking gimmick games, and thrown-together pieces of crap that it makes you wonder why you own the system in the first place. That's when you see the first party titles: Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros. Then you sigh a relief and say: yes, ok, this was a good idea after all.

Being the guy with just a Wii was tough, but luckily, after two years I moved with my friend Tim to California, and he has a 360. Having access to the 360 has let me experience the AAA world I was missing: Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Skyrim.

Here's why I've convinced myself that getting a Wii U is a good idea: I'm going to need it anyway when there's a new Zelda game or a new Smash Bros. or a new Metroid (can we get the people who did the Prime trilogy back? Those were awesome.) Best case scenario, the buffed-up Wii U is going to also get the major AAA games, and I can just get those games for the Nintendo system. Worst case scenario, I'll still get all the great Nintendo stuff.

Just to be sure, I'm going to research the difference between the expensive one and the cheap one (other than hard drive space.)

In the words of a mustachioed Italian plumber, Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment