Monday, May 13, 2013

What I Want to See From New Character Models

Cataclysm's introduction of the Worgen and Goblins made something clear: the graphics of WoW have gotten a hell of a lot better since its beginning. With Worgen, Goblins, and Pandaren now making up a sizable chunk of the race options, and all the detailed and crisp-looking models we've seen in recent expansions, it has become clear that the old races need a little tender care.

This is, of course, a massive undertaking. That said, I don't think every old race's revitalization will require the same resources as a totally new race. New races need tons of concept work and figuring out the overall culture and feel that will link in to the look of the race. For example, the original male Worgen (as you can see in Cataclysm's introductory trailer) were far less vicious-looking, and needed some feral-ization.

The new models would not be reimaginings, but just updates, taking the better tools they have developed and applying them to races with established feels and looks.

So I'm going to go race-by-race and talk about what I think needs work. I'm assuming that voices will remain the same (changing those could really alienate people from their toons,) but I think animations will be part of the package here (I recall reading someone from Blizz saying that.)

I only play male characters (ok, technically I have a female undead monk, but she's level 2 or something) so I can't really comment a whole lot on the female models.

Human: The biggest issue I have with the human model is the insane Popeye forearms. Granted, as someone who plays a plate class as a human, it looks natural enough as part of his armor. The faces also obviously need a bit of an update. Likewise, a lot of the animations are a bit stiff. He never seems to move his arms above the elbows while running.

Dwarf: I actually like the odd boxiness of the way that dwarves run, but I think the faces need a lot of work. Also (and this is a big thing for all races) I want their beards to show regardless of what helmet they are wearing. A dwarf without a giant flowing beard is either a woman or an impostor.

Gnome: There are some clipping issues here. Also, a male gnome without facial hair is pants-shittingly terrifying. I think additional crazy hair styles and beards would be a good addition, as well as maybe more crazy hair colors.

Night Elf: I'm actually fine with thin and lanky for Night Elves, but they obviously need to deal with giant hand syndrome. Also, their slow walk animation is just weird, not that you see it that much.

Draenei: On one hand, the insane top-heavyness gives the Draenei much of their distinctive look, but maybe it's too much. I also think the bounciness of their walk can undercut how badass they look while standing still or attacking. Also, when they sleep, their shoulder armor cuts into their heads.

Orcs: Orcs share a bit of the stiffness of humans (I assume these were the first races they designed.) I actually think it's less of an issue for Orcs, because we expect them to be a little blocky and tank-like naturally. They have some pretty decent fighting animations, but of course, the more the merrier.

Trolls: Even though the Zandalari stand upright, it seems fairly iconic that trolls would be lanky and have poor posture. On one hand, I think trolls could stand to be beefed up a bit (especially given how many of the other troll tribes we come across who seem far more Orc-like in their build.) That said, it's nice to have a different body type in there.

Tauren: Necks! Give them Necks! There's a ton of good concept art out there that shows Tauren with necks and real shoulders. They are still unmistakably Tauren. This would also solve a lot of the problems with helmets. Tauren should obviously have that massive feel, but perhaps allowing them to seem slightly more agile would be good.

Undead: First and foremost - fix their armor. The body is broken and decayed, not the armor. It's especially bizarre to see plate armor that has been torn with a zig-zag pattern. Next, I'd love to see undead with access to facial hair. Having a wispy, mold-covered beard would be awesome. They could also probably stand to have better posture. I mean, they are undead, but surely their exposed spines hurt from standing that way.

Blood Elves: Blood Elves mostly look pretty good the way they are. I'm not sure I get why they jump that way, but who am I to judge? Mostly, Blood Elves just need a touch-up with more polygons and better textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment