Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Smash Bros Wii U Out November 21st

Yes, I know! A non-WoW article! I often vacillate between whether this should be a WoW-specific blog or a more general gaming blog, but WoW is the sort of game that constantly has news popping up about it and its systems and lore are so complex that I can find a lot of things to say about it.

But Smash Bros Wii U is coming out a week after Warlords, which I think means I'm going to be a caveman for a while starting in mid-November.

Smash Bros 3DS came out already, but I've never been much of a mobile gamer (never had a Gameboy or its successors) so I was really waiting for the console version to arrive.

Smash Bros Wii U will see a whole lot of new characters (though a lot seem to be from Fire Emblem, which I've never played.) As far as I can tell, the only characters I don't believe are returning are Snake (which sucks, but I can understand there begin complicated licensing issues involved) and Ice Climbers, which is just a damn shame because why the hell not?

On the plus side, we're getting Megaman, Pac-Man, and even the freaking Duck Hunt Dog, who I don't think has actually been in any games since Duck Hunt, but is unquestionably a part of the classic Nintendo legacy. We're also getting Little Mac, the star of Punch-Out, another golden-oldie. Unfortunately, especially given the apparent absence of Snake, I'm not holding out much hope for fellow Konami alumnus Simon Belmont, from the Castlevania games, which one of my best friends has been yearning to play in Smash Bros. for years. Personally I wouldn't mind some classic Squaresoft characters to join in as well, like Frog from Chrono Trigger or Tera from Final Fantasy VI, but I don't really know what's going on with SquareEnix and Nintendo these days, especially regarding the Final Fantasy series.

Apparently there's some add-on you can get for the Wii U that allows you to use the Gamecube controller, which is pretty enticing. I'll have to weigh that against the cost of the Wii U's pro controllers. Currently I just have my tablet-controller and a couple old Wii controllers. The tablet should be ok, but it is a little on the heavy side.

While I don't know if we can ever hope to get a Pyramid of Power stage (the final boss area in Link to the Past, where you fight Ganon in his most secure stronghold in the Dark World,) but I sure hope we get an epic, awesome new Dark World Theme orchestration. There's not much on the website about stages, so I'm eager to see what they've got.

And after a week of Draenor, I'm sure it'll be nice to get some more action-oriented gaming done and then maybe take a break for a shower and some sleep some time in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment