Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Aberrus' End and the Legacy of the Void

 Scalecommander Sarkareth became available on LFR today, and pleasingly (in my opinion) it only took us two pulls to take him down (contrasted with the 8 or 9 it took for Raszageth when she came out).

The fight has three phases, with a whole lot of bad things to avoid standing in, though for tanks it seems to be more or less just a little positioning and taunt-swapping (I died on the first attempt because I wasn't sufficiently behind cover of the meteorites to avoid getting knocked off the platform, and I wasn't battle-rezzed until it was too late for me to taunt off the other tank).

Sarkareth is very much a tragic figure - in his eagerness to claim the power, legacy, and independence that he feels the Dracthyr are owed, he walks the same path as Neltharion, only for the void to overwhelm him.

Overall, I've enjoyed this raid quite a bit - some have complained that it's too easy, but as someone who really only runs LFR these days, I consider that more of a feature than a bug.

The liberalness of the Revival Catalyst - even more generous than it was in the previous tier - is also welcome, as I've completed an actual transmog set (the LFR Evoker one) for the first time in several expansions.

While this deals with a great deal of legacy - both for the Dracthyr and the Black Dragonflight - it appears that we've sort of finished the Black Dragon-centric story of the expansion. Naturally with the mega-dungeon coming next patch we should be covering the Bronze Dragons, and there's a hint in the Aberrus epilogue that we'll also see some resolution to the Green story and the seed formed in the Shadowlands, which should allow for a new world tree and home for the Night Elves. (That said, the cutscene bugged out for me, so I didn't actually see Alexstrasza's announcement in full).

I suspect that the final raid will involve a fight atop the Seat of the Aspects (given the massive platforms climbing up around it,) and while Fyrrak has been unleashed in this patch, we don't actually deal with him, so we still have three of the four Incarnates left to take care of.

Aberrus thus serves quite well as a classic "mid tier" raid, which historically dealt with secondary villains, like Yogg-Saron in Wrath, the Mogu in Mists of Pandaria, or Ragnaros in Cataclysm.

I'm happy to have been able to get a great deal of time in the raid, though I'm beginning to run it a bit less as my characters have much of the gear they want out of it (also, there are a ton of games coming out I want to play, like Final Fantasy XVI on Thursday, so honestly the timing here is pretty good).

No comments:

Post a Comment