Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Problem with the Armored Bloodwing

I don't go in for micro-transactions. It's against my nature. Getting me to subscribe to WoW was a big hurdle, and the idea of making additional purchases for a game I already have makes me a little sick to my stomach. For this reason, even full-content DLC material is something I don't really go in for (though part of that has to do with the fact that it's my friend and apartment-mate who owns the Xbox.) So when it comes to a totally cosmetic item like a mount, I can't really justify making the purchase.

Which is sad, because I've been waiting for a Bat mount since BC came out.

Nowadays, there are hundreds of mounts, flying and ground. When I first started playing, mounts were a rare thing indeed, and to have a mount that was not your race or faction's standard was pretty unusual (it also made the Warlock and Paladin class mounts pretty exciting to have.)

Flying mounts were even more limited at the beginning. Basically, if you were Alliance, you'd get a gryphon, and if you were Horde, you'd get a wyvern. These made sense, given that they were the standard "flightpath" animals. Of course, each faction had two such standards - the Alliance has gryphons and hippogryphs, and the Horde has windriders/wyverns and bats. The hippogryph was available to those who could reach exalted with Cenarion Expedition, but even as we've had helicopters, flying carpets, drakes, kites, and a gigantic robotic head added, we have not, until now, had a bat mount option.

Hell, trolls got the druid class and a bat-form before we ever saw a bat mount.

Anyway, it's just a little sad and frustrating because I've wanted a bat mount for my undead rogue since flying mounts were first introduced. I hope that some day, a different model of bat mount is made available for in-game gold rather than real-world dollars.

For now I guess I'll just have to make do with my Headless Horseman's mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment