Saturday, July 19, 2014

Gorgrond Second Impressions: Player Choice!

Well well well. I've now taken my DK (an actual character from live who I've copied over) into Gorgrond. It's still crashing all the time, but the main difference in how I've approached the zone is which building I decided to build at my outpost.

After a few short quests in Gorgrond, you're given the option to build either a Lumber Mill or a Sparring Arena. After a few quests, you'll get your zone-wide Garrison ability, but it goes a lot farther than that.

It turns out that it's not just this one building-associated quest chain that is altered, but possibly a big chunk of the zone.

I had been disappointed by the fact that my sojourn through Gorgrond the first time around had been entirely within jungle and dense forests. But the second time through, I seem to be getting sent far more into the rocky, desert areas of the zone. I have not gotten terribly far in these quests, but it is heartening both to see that I'm going to get to experience the Gorgrond that was advertised, but also that the choice you make will have a big impact on how the zone plays out.

And given that every other zone after Shadowmoon/Frostfire will have this choice of buildings, it bodes well for questing through Draenor.

I also took a bit to explore Gorgrond itself. Blackrock Foundry actually takes up a very large portion of the zone, and looks extremely intimidating. I imagine there might be some major quests - either not yet implemented during the leveling process or perhaps being saved for level 100 - that involve an initial assault on the Foundry.

I'll come back with further impressions of Talador as well once I get there on the DK.

No comments:

Post a Comment