Friday, January 30, 2015

WoW Insider Closing Down

I'm sad to report that WoW Insider, the World of Warcraft blog/news site, will be shutting down as the greater Joystiq network appears to be in turmoil due to financial reasons at AOL. I've read WoW Insider since 2008, and it has always been my favorite source for WoW news and analysis. While MMO-Champion and WoWHead might be the ones who data-mine new expansions, WoW Insider had a personal touch, not to mention far more regular posts with charming writers.

Given that WoW Insider is still a very popular site for the world's most popular subscription-based MMORPG (I have no idea what the number look like on the F2P side of things,) I hope that they can somehow manage to relaunch the site independent of AOL. But while I imagine the writers will continue to blog about WoW, we might not have the same familiar format we once knew. Reading WoW Insider has been a big part of my WoW-playing experience for most of the time I've been playing the game, and so its absence will be deeply felt.

I wish all the writers from the site the best of luck.

UPDATE: It looks like the WoW Insider staff are working on something to possibly just find a new host for the website. So I certainly hope that this simply means we'll see only a brief interruption in the site's content, and perhaps a new URL. Fingers Crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment