Saturday, October 3, 2015

Some Interesting Changes to Cross-Race Illusions

I believe since 6.2.2 (which implemented flight,) some new changes have been made to the way that toys and effects that change your appearance work.

In the past, using something like a Mage's Illusion spell (a minor glyph that lets you take on the appearance of another player or that of one of a set of stock characters) or things like Mr. Smite's Brass Compass, your appearance would change, but it would be a purely visual thing. Error messages and mousing over yourself (or an affected target) would still show the true race of your character. You might look like a female gnome death knight, but your old "inventory is full" messages would still come in the low baritone of a male draenei (or what have you.)

This has changed, and I suspect it might have something to do with the Ashran mercenary mode system, which allows players to fight for the other faction on the PvP island in order to alleviate queue times.

You do not get the racial abilities when you get these illusions, but your character's voice (both for emotes and error messages) and the race displayed when you mouse over yourself, it will now conform to the illusion, meaning that you can run around as a Tauren Mage or an Orc Paladin (for as long as the illusion lasts.)

However, most fascinating, is what happened when I used my newly-purchased Mark of the Ashtongue, which gives you the appearance of an Ashtongue Deathsworn Broken Draenei. I did this on a Draenei character, and I assumed that if they considered this to be looking like another "race," it might said Draenei. Instead, the listed race was "Broken."

Which, as I'm sure you know, is not a playable race in-game.

I'm really curious to see now what other toys and illusions in that vein do with other non-playable race.

(I also tried out the Ever-Shifting Mirror, which is super-cool, but felt a bit redundant on a Mage, so I sold it back.)

No comments:

Post a Comment