Tuesday, February 26, 2019

A Return to Dark Souls III

Like the original game, I never beat Dark Souls 3, though I got farther in it that I ever did in the first one, with only Lothric, the Nameless King, and Soul of Cinder left in the main game (I didn't beat any of the DLC bosses, though I don't think I get access to the Ringed City until I have all the Lords of Cinder down, and there's very few bosses in Ashes of Ariandel.

I rolled up a Pyromancer, and I've found that having some ranged spells has made a few things easier. I two-shot Iudex Gundyr and one-shot Vordt (though if I recall correctly, I might have one-shot Vordt the first time. After the gauntlet that is the High Wall of Lothric, Vordt's a pretty darn easy boss.)

My main character through the game was Dexterity-based, and I figure it will be fun to have some spells at my disposal. I figure as a Pyromancer I can easily dip into either Miracles or Sorceries, given that Pyromancy scales with both Faith and Intelligence.

Anyway, I kind of raced through the High Wall section and am now mopping it up, gathering items I missed. It seems to me that Souls games tend to have a kind of brutal gatekeeping section at the start - the Upper Undead Burgh in the original, Central Yharnam in Bloodborne, and High Wall in this one.

I've been dumping most of my souls into health, figuring that with a Deep Battle Axe (the one you can get from a Mimic in the High Wall) doesn't scale, so for now I have a pretty decent weapon and can focus on survival until I'm ready to really pump up a stat. I need to figure out what weapons scale with Faith or Intelligence and pick one of those.

We'll see how well this run goes, and whether I'll want to switch back to my original character and try to finish the game properly. I've killed Orphan of Kos on two characters, and there's one that's really close, so I guess I'm better at Bloodborne.

No comments:

Post a Comment