Sunday, August 4, 2019

I Have So Many D&D (And Other TTRPG) Games I Want to Run

My original D&D campaign is now in its fourth year, though scheduling conflicts, among other things, have made it far less of a weekly thing.

I do play in a (more regular) weekly D&D campaign, as well as weekly Adventurer's League games (often run by the friend who runs that campaign.)

I created a group in order to run one-shot games, the idea being that I could set a date and then build the adventure around whoever was able to come, of which I've run two (actually the same adventure with different players) but I do have such grand ambitions.

So, right now: my main campaign is an ongoing epic, with characters gradually uncovering dangers that will, over time, relate more and more to their own backstories.

I have two major D&D campaign concepts that I want to run.

One is set within the same world (my homebrew world of Sarkon) and would be set after the events of the first campaign. In fact, there's a particular move that I want the players to make that will set up the events of that campaign. While the current one is very Cosmic-Horror themed, the next would, ideally, be more of a Lord of the Rings-style epic war campaign in which the... um, spoilers if you're in my D&D group... Angel of Death is released from his 60,000 year imprisonment and raises and army of the dead to kill everyone (he'd probably have reskinned stats for Orcus, changing his creature type from Demon to either Celestial or Undead and alignment from Chaotic Evil to Lawful Evil - maybe futzing with a few under-the-hood things as well.)

The other campaign would be a Ravnica campaign. While I did do a one-shot (which has a second chapter if we ever want to make it a two-shot) for level 18 characters, I'd really like to also run a game starting at low levels (probably 2 or 3) and have the players work their way up. My concept here would borrow a lot from Magic lore, perhaps bending a few rules. Basically, it would start with Squee, the immortal goblin, finding himself on Ravnica and the guilds fighting over control of him. We'd have some guild-based villains to reckon with but then probably have the Phyrexians as the big bads, because I am old-school.

Then, on top of that, I'd like to run a Call of Cthulhu game - right now with the Starter Set I think it's really geared around running the pre-fab adventures, but if we decide we like it I'll probably get the actual books and try to build a game set within my own Massachusetts hometown, because even if it was a super-safe suburb, when you're a little kid you populate the spaces you inhabit with all manner of terrifying monsters. I'd like to share them!

Oh, and back to D&D!

My longterm ambition is to one day do a Chrono Trigger-style time-travel campaign. My homebrew world has a lot of different eras that we could use, and even though that would probably be incredibly freaking difficult to pull off, I fucking want to.

Oh, and also I kind of want to homebrew all the WoW races (and maybe classes...?) for D&D 5e and run a campaign set in Azeroth (though that would probably be more of a one-shot deal.)

The problem, however, is that getting a group of adults in their 20s and 30s to come together regularly to play D&D, especially when most of them work in the performing arts and have wildly irregular schedules, is a pain. in. the. ass. But that's my friends!

If I manage to check each of these off my list at some point, I'll be very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment