Thursday, November 25, 2021

When the Dice Hate You

 Last night, we had the third session of our Wildemount campaign. I'm playing a Triton Wizard, level 2, with an Intelligence of 18 (thus giving me a 14 spell save DC).

While trying to rescue a kidnapped young man who had gotten in trouble with the local mob, one of our paladins remembered that the boat we were hoping to get the man to with his brother to flee Port Zoon had some sketchy stuff on board - a crate that was oddly warm. After he told us about this, we went to the ship and investigated, only for an explosion to rock the ship and for several Magmins to burst out.

We're only level 2, so I was relying mostly on cantrips - I have Mind Sliver, which requires an intelligence saving throw and does 1d6 psychic damage as well as reducing the target's next saving throw by 1d4.

The combat lasted I believe five rounds. And while I was able to kill one of the elementals on the first round, for the rest of combat, not a single thing I did landed - three rounds using Mind Sliver and one doing a Tasha's Caustic Brew (with acid swapped for force because I'm a Scribes wizard).

This, despite the fact that the Magmins have a -1 to Intelligence.

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate the odds here:

With my DC of 14, the Magmins needed to roll a 15 or higher to succeed. That's 6 out of 20, or 30% chance. For that to happen on three different Mind Slivers, that's 30% x 30% x 30%. And that is, I believe, a 2.7% chance.

So yeah, the dice are sometimes very cruel.

(Ironically, the other Wizard was using Frostbite, and despite the Magmins having a positive Con modifier, they always failed.)

Am I mad?

I mean, yeah.

But oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment