Saturday, August 5, 2023

Baldur's Gate 3 Does a Remarkable Job of Translating D&D 5E to the Computer

 So, sadly I'm still playing Early Access while PC users are getting to play the full game. But the early access version of BG3 on Macs is quite good. One thing I discovered was a graphics setting that makes it run far more smoothly (though the reason I'm writing this now is that some dialogue scene crashed - it's not perfect).

I took the party into a ruined temple of Selune that had been taken over by a group of goblins (and some non-goblins) who are all worshipping something called The Absolute - likely the big bad of the campaign. While you can go in all friendly, talking with the three leaders will tend to push you toward combat unless you want to totally compromise yourself. I actually managed to get my original character captured by the "healer" goblin but was able to break out and sneak to the rest of the party, and we returned to crush her and her ogre bodyguard.

We then took out the other leaders and rescued a druid who is thought to be one of the options to cure the party (everyone has a Mind Flayer tadpole in their head - this happens in the introductory cutscene). Unfortunately, speaking with that druid, the druid froze in conversation and I had to quit, meaning I'll probably have to do the fight in the Worg pen again.

The most memorable encounter here was after we killed the leaders, all the goblins in the main temple hall were alerted to our hostility, and so we had something like ten goblins coming at us (including some warlocks and other nastier versions). However, incredibly satisfyingly, I had Lae'zel use a shoving attack (I had her become a Battle Master) to knock one of them into a pit with a pair of giant spiders, and then the spiders killed the goblin and then crawled out to attack the goblins - I took special care to avoid hitting them, and so the two spiders effectively tanked for us while my Warlock, Astarion, and Shadowheart pelted them from afar with ranged attacks.

Naturally, some of the less clearly-defined spells like Minor Illusion don't quite work how they do in the tabletop version, but a lot of spells do - my Warlock, given that this is low level, tends to use the classic Hex/Eldritch Blast combo, but I also have Shatter for when I can grab a few enemies in a group.

And, just as it tends to be in real D&D, it's very easy to run out of spell slots on your Cleric if you're liberal with tossing Healing Words at your allies.

One thing that's interesting is that Long Rests are very easy to take - as long as you have the supplies (generally food) you can stop what you're doing and have some scenes with the party in a secure camp, and then rest and get all your resources back. Party members who aren't currently with you (Gale and Wyll tend to stay at camp for me - I'm the damage spellcaster, and having Lae'zel tank, Shadowheart heal, and Astarion focus on damage and utility makes for a pretty well-balanced party.) You can do this even in the middle of a dungeon (the area you rest will also reflect your environment).

Anyway, even though I'm envious of the people playing the real version of the game, I have to say it's a lot of fun. You know, like D&D.

No comments:

Post a Comment