Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Tanking Godrick and When a Build Starts to Come Together

 While it's a build that I actually tried before, playing with a paladin-tank in Elden Ring has actually seemed to be working better for me than previously. With Barricade Shield on a Brass Shield, and the Curved-Sword Talisman, I was able to get through Stormveil Castle with little difficulty, even tanking the terrifying Grafted Scion in the big banquet hall with the painting of Godfrey and taking it down without any sort of cheesing.

Godrick has given me a little trouble in the last couple playthroughs, but I one-shot the mangled psycho this time, largely by trusting to my ash-of-war-enhanced Brass Shield to survive his strikes - including his big wind-storm ones - and striking back. I actually finished him off with a guard-counter while Nepheli Loux and my trusty jellyfish poured damage into him.

I'm currently using a +7 Lordsworn Straight Sword with the Sacred Order ash of war and Sacred scaling, so I'm getting a bit more holy damage out of my Faith. That said, at this level the scaling bonus to the damage is really tiny compared to the base damage. I've got, I think after Godrick, 24 Faith, which I'm planning to pump up to 28 so that I can use some of the Incantations I've found.

I did get Hurl Flame, which is a far better general-use Incantation than Catch Fire on the virtue of its being ranged, but I'm still getting way more of my power out of the tanking-and-guard-countering.

Anyway, apparently my copy of Planescape is available for pickup at the store, but we've got the game where I'm a player tonight, which hasn't met in I think over a month, so I'll probably get it tomorrow. You can expect that I'll have my comments on it once I've read through it (my roommate has his own copy, and I thumbed through the monster book).

No comments:

Post a Comment