Thursday, August 20, 2026

UA: Underdark Options

 We have a new Unearthed Arcana. While there is a bit of a backlog of tested options compared to the announced books, in fairness, we have sort of been working through them (for example, a few of the old Xanathar's subclasses are getting revamps in the World of Warcraft book).

The Underdark is, of course, a storied part of D&D lore, and an environment that they generally assume you have in your campaign setting despite having no true real-world equivalent (sure, there are subterranean biomes on Earth, but I don't think any are as extensive as the Underdark).

The UA brings us three subclasses and a "villainous feat path" similar to what we saw with Liches and Death Knights, in this case being the Path of Ceremorphosis, where you become a Mind Flayer.

I'll be honest: I'm not generally that fascinated by the Underdark as a setting, and my initial impressions of these options are not... well, I'm not blown away by them, even though I applaud the efforts to create truly new things. We'll get into them with individual posts.

We got a lot of big announcements at GenCon, but we do still have a few things that have gone through testing without an official announcement of a corresponding book - primarily the "villain" book. This, I imagine, could be for a separate Underdark-themed sourcebook or perhaps an adventure set there (which they have done before in 5.0 with Out of the Abyss, but that was a while ago now).

No comments:

Post a Comment