Sunday, September 13, 2015

Faster Unlocks for Super Mario Maker

Apparently after an update (man, it's a lot easier to adjust games now than it was in the cartridge days,) Super Mario Maker will now allow you to unlock level elements at a faster pace, though the mechanics of this remain somewhat mysterious.

I experienced this myself earlier today. After unlocking the Underwater set through the normal wait, I created a level that used all the elements from that set, and suddenly unlocked the Castle set. Obviously I immediately went to make a Castle level, and after using all of its elements, I unlocked the Airship set and the Super Mario Bros. 3 theme.

I've used all the Airship elements, though I used them in my Castle level (I was only about halfway done with the Castle level when I unlocked the Airship.) I suspect that if I make an actual Airship level, I might unlock the next set and theme - Ghost House and Super Mario World (which are both basically the ones I was most excited about.)

This is a pretty solid alternative to the original "just wait for new stuff to arrive" system, as it still requires you to take a look at every piece they've given to you before giving you new stuff.

Oh, and I've unlocked (somehow) auto-scroll, adjustable time limits, and a feature that lets you track Mario's path for fine-tuning jumps (something that I kind of wish had come earlier.)

I'm hoping I've correctly analyzed the system here, and that I can start making Super Mario World levels (SMW was my first Mario game, so its aesthetics and feel are the most iconic to me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment