Thursday, January 17, 2019

Rolling for a New Campaign

This Saturday we're having a 1-shot whose primary purpose is to get one of my roommates to play D&D (she and my other roommate, her husband, were picking day one spells for her forge cleric earlier today) and I am very excited to play an Eldritch Knight fighter (I wrote a post a while ago about picking spells for him - I swapped out Shield for Disguise Self and Toll the Dead for Frostbite - the former because I figured I should take advantage of my level 3 option to pick a non Evocation/Abjuration spell and the latter because I figured I should make use of the disadvantage effect on Frostbite instead of going for pure damage with Toll the Dead - that's what my warhammer is for.)

Anyway, the plan is that the DM for our one-shot will start running a true campaign at our apartment (likely Dragon Heist/Dungeon of the Mad Mage) and naturally that puts me in the position of wanting to roll a new character.

So here are the ideas I've had:

1. More EK!

Eldritch Knight is an archetype I've wanted to play for a long time, and I might want more than one session with it. The difference, I think, would be that I'd want to play a Warforged - likely cloaking how a Warforged got to the Forgotten Realms in some fun character-background mystery.

2. Drunken Master/Shadow Monk

I think Drunken Master has a lot of potential to be a fun character personality to play - I actually think that he'd secretly be something of a teetotler, using a Tankard of Sobriety to make it look like he was getting drunk. It's mainly a question of whether I can do a Xanathar subclass with a non-PHB race. I'd want to play either an Air Genasi or maybe a Githzerai. Alternatively, I could imagine going Shadow with either a Wood Elf or Shadar-Kai. That character would probably be more serious.

3. Shadow/Divine Soul Sorcerer

The problem with the Monk is that it doesn't do spells (well, maybe a little as Shadow.) I think a Sorcerer could be pretty fun. The big question again is race options. I could maybe go Half Elf, but I think I'd prefer to go with either a good-aligned Aasimar Divine Soul sorcerer with an evil-aligned divine source or I could essentially play the enchantment-focused Half Elf Shadow sorcerer that I'd want to play in a Ravnica game (can you guess which guild?)

I think those are my primary ideas: I do like the idea of playing, say, a Wizard or a Paladin, but I might save those concepts for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment