Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The End of an Era for Acquisitions Incorporated

At a small-scale Acq-Inc game at the Penny Arcade headquarters, Chris Perkins made a shocking announcement toward the end of the game - that he was going to be stepping down as Dungeon Master and allowing Jeremy Crawford to take his place going forward.

This is after eleven years and ten levels of seeing obnoxious (maybe evil?) corporate bureaucrat Omin Dran, egocentric goofball Jim Darkmagic, and a cast of other memorable characters play through the latest D&D content, starting as a promo for the then-new 4th Edition.

Acq-Inc is not going away, and Perkins is still going to run Dice, Camera, Action (along with new Acq-Inc regular and core DCA player Strix.) But we'll be seeing Crawford take over the main show, which is kind of crazy.

Jeremy Crawford is the lead rules designer on D&D, so he's no small name, but I certainly have less experience watching him DM. It'll be weird not to have Perkins behind the screen.

Like it has been for a ton of people, Acq-Inc is what really got me to try the game, and it's a big part of how I think about D&D (I was a relative latecomer to Critical Role, but that's obviously also a big model for how I like to run a game - in practice my group is not quite murder-hobos, but also perhaps not as emotionally invested as the CR group.)

In a move that appears to be pissing off a lot of purists but excites me, the group gets transported out of the multiverse entire and to Ravnica at the end of the session. I guess that answers a cosmological question I've had about how Ravnica fits in as a D&D world.

No comments:

Post a Comment