Thursday, November 21, 2019

Tool, Warforged Artificer

My Adventurer's League Descent into Avernus game is not officially meeting next week, but given that many of us will still be in LA for Thanksgiving, we're doing a sort of "off the books" game, and I've decided to try to incorporate as many non-AL-legal sources as I could (sadly, I think I only got two in.)

I'm playing a Warforged Artificer who is... a member of the Izzet League on Ravnica!

Because I was given the express instruction to come up with a dumb Warforged name, I'm going with "Tool," because between being Warforged, an Izzet Engineer, and an Artificer, I have, unless I screwed up at some point, a full seven artisan's tool proficiencies. This guy is a walking Swiss Army Knife, and can use Thieves' Tools, Smith's Tools, Alchemy Supplies, Woodcarver's Tools, Glass Blower's Tools, Tinker's Tools, and I think one more I can't remember.

I've already gotten approval to use Firearms, and as such I decided to go Battle Smith, as the most martial of the Artificer classes. Given that we're starting at level 8, I figure he's had enough time to construct a Musket (I figured limiting myself to Renaissance-era firearms would balance things decently) and he's taken the infusion that gives you a +1 ranged weapon that generates its own ammo.

What I need to figure out (or might just do on my own) is see if I can use the expanded Izzet Spell list.

Granted, as a Battle Smith, you're really going for more of a Paladin or Ranger-like build. Artillerist is more for playing a pure caster (and Alchemists are, I think, a decently viable healer.)

The Battle Smith has the following features that let you play a "no guilt" melee/caster hybrid:

You get access to Martial weapons (hello Maul for melee.)

Like Hexblade Warlocks, you get to use your spellcasting ability in place of Strength or Dexterity for your weapons (and unlike Hexblades, this simply applies to any weapon you're wielding.)

You have a robo-buddy who can impose disadvantage once a round on attacks against you.

So what I now have is a guy in half-plate that has been given a +1 infusion, thus granting 18 AC, plus my Steel Defender, which can keep me from taking too many hits. Oh, and I also have a weapon infusion that, in addition to giving his maul +1 to hit and damage, also lets him potentially blind foes that hit him.

For spells, I've gone basically all utility - which to be fair, is mostly what Artificers have anyway. Grease, Faerie Fire, See Invisibility, Enlarge/Reduce, and such are what I'm bringing.

I cannot wait to take this character out for a spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment