Friday, July 17, 2020

Sigh, MTGA Crashing Even More After Latest Update

MTG Arena looks great, feels slick, and when it plays, it streamlines Magic the Gathering into a wonderfully fast-paced and exciting game.

But the client crashes about 90% of the time I want to use it.

After (not exaggerating) 8 attempts to just get the game to run, I was finally able to play two games just now, only for it to crash when I tried to play a third. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I've used the Epic Game Store's "Verify" feature...

It's a total mess.

And it's a shame, because when the game works as intended, it's wonderful. I love the way that card-crafting works (it's way better than spending "draft tickets" to purchase rares from bots like I did back in the MTGO days) and the little flourishes like special animations for particularly interesting cards (I love the little burst of a crystal shard whenever you play one of the Triome lands) is a cool thing you obviously can't get in paper Magic.

While I really hope this is just the early kinks of the Mac client, I'm a little worried to see similar complaints about the PC version.

If this game didn't crash and didn't have to check all its assets every time I booted it up, I'd be 100% on board with it (actually, my one UX suggestion would be a way to either choose your own default Basic Land art or to give you the option to randomize them when building a new deck. I don't need every island to be that Raugrin-themed beach from Ikoria.)

Anyway, it's frustrating because when it wasn't crashing so much MTGA was a real good activity for the quarantine doldrums. But now I feel like I can't even rely on it as a thing to do.

I sure hope we get a build that fixes these issues soon. I guess this is making me appreciate the level of communication we get from Blizzard all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment