Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Maskwood Nexus Fun

 So, this deck was copied exactly from someone online and I cannot find the person to credit, so apologies. But it's a fun deck that takes advantage of the various tribal themes in Kaldheim as well as a favorite from Adventures in the Forgotten Realms.

I missed the period when Kaldheim was the new set, probably because Shadowlands had come out, but it seems like the intended tribal theme was a bit underplayed. I do have a fun giants deck, and I think elves got some love, but I don't think I've seen a bunch of archetypes built around the other tribes from Kaldheim's ten realms. Wait, no, duh, Angels. Ok, so maybe I'm totally wrong about this.

The point is, though, that one of the "tribes" is the shapeshifters of Littjara. These all have the Changeling keyword, which keyworded the Mistform Ultimus ability to give them all creature types anywhere they are.

Now, this deck doesn't actually have any of them, but it uses the artifact Maskwood Nexus to give that to all of your creatures.

The centerpiece of this is to use Maskwood Nexus to turn all your dudes into Skeletons and thus get big bonuses with Skeletal Swarming. But there are some other tricks that are really cool as well.

The deck is in Jund colors (Green, Red, and Black) and has a few ways to generate a ton of treasure tokens. The best of these is Magda, Brazen Outlaw, a legendary 2/1 dwarf that gives all your dwarves (and thus all your creatures if you have the Nexus out) +1/+0. It also, more importantly, gives you a treasure token any time a dwarf you control becomes tapped. While she's the only actual dwarf in your deck, the Nexus will make it so that every single one of your creatures is producing a token. Then, you can sacrifice 5 treasure tokens to search your library for a creature or artifact and put it into play.

And that's where you get the big bruisers - Immerstum Predator, Gold Span Dragon, and Eskia's Chariot (the latter of which gives you tokens that are going to be making more treasure each time they crew the chariot) can come in and smack your opponent for big chunks, giving an alternative but also complementary win condition in case Skeletal Swarming doesn't work out.

One of the cleverest things about the deck is that it uses Jaspera Sentinel to help ramp up, but you can also use the sentinel to ensure that Magda or other smaller and more vulnerable creatures you have aren't forced to attack by Skeletal Swarming. You basically get to "bench" them while the more expendable/durable creatures smash the opponent.

I tried building a skeleton tribal deck when I first got a couple copies of Skeletal Swarming, but at least for now, the pickings are a little slim. You can run into the problem of the opponent having enough blockers to kill two skeletons and survive, and thus reducing the threat of Skeletal Swarming. But this deck, using the Maskwood Nexus, makes it a lot easier to have a ton of skeletons out to give them all big bonuses.

The deck doesn't always take off, but it becomes a very serious problem to anyone who doesn't have the removal to get rid of Magda. In a game I played in the midst of writing this, I used Esika's Chariot to make sure I tapped all my creatures at the end of my opponent's turn, maximizing the treasure I generated, which I could then trade in to tutor up more creatures. It took me forever to get Skeletal Swarming out there, but once I did, the opponent forfeited before I could reduce them to -259 or so life.

No comments:

Post a Comment