Friday, September 3, 2021

My New Character: Triton Wizard Vodalos Sarpadiath

 On Wednesday, we had our session zero for the new Wildemount Campaign run by one of my best friends. Intended to be an RP-heavy, character-driven story, our DM has not planned any plot or villains, waiting for us to build our characters and make a story that grows out of that.

Now, our party does not actually seem to be very balanced. Between five players, we have only three classes, with two of us playing Paladins and two playing Wizards, with the odd man out being a Fighter.

Essentially, the two wizards are going to hiding behind a shield wall. And yes, we don't have any dedicated healers, so we've talked about possibly hiring an NPC to be run by our DM, or maybe we'll just rely a lot on healing potions.

My top two character concepts were the Wizard and an Armorer Artificer. While I will definitely want to play one of those (probably in my next major campaign,) my other current characters are all strength-based melee characters. I've also been playing half- and third-casters, and I wanted to play a character who is going to get some more advanced spellcasting.

I managed to roll pretty well, and using the Tasha's rules to reassign racial bonuses, I'm sitting on 18 Intelligence, 17 Constitution, 14 Dexterity, 14 Charisma, 12 Strength, and 8 Wisdom. I wanted to play a somewhat naive character, so low wisdom seemed the right call (and as a Wizard I have proficiency in Wisdom saves anyway, so I've got a positive bonus to every saving throw.)

While I could have probably put the 17 in Dexterity and made a Bladesinger, which seems a lot of fun, I'm actively avoiding melee attacks (in fact, none of my spells are even spell attacks - I have Mind Sliver as my damage cantrip, though with Tasha's you can actually swap out cantrips once a day) and then Magic Missile, Tasha's Caustic Brew, and Burning Hands as my damage spells I'm starting off with (and then Silent Image, Detect Magic, and Mage Armor as my other ones.) My other cantrips are Mage Hand and Prestidigitation.

Vodalos (whose first and last names are references to the Fallen Empires Magic: the Gathering set, which was the first I played with as a little kid) has a backstory that will push him toward Order of Scribes, which I think should be a very fun and effective subclass (and at level 14 I'll be able to tank a Disintegrate!)

I'm glad that I was able to start out with a +4 modifier to his main stat as well as a +3 to Constitution, which means I'll be able to max out his health pretty early (which I think is extra useful as a Wizard.) I'm considering grabbing Resilient: Constitution at level 8 or so to A: deal with that single odd ability score and B: make it easier to maintain concentration on spells.

With another Wizard in the party, I think we'll want to coordinate which spells we learn for free at level-ups, and then spend long rests swapping spellbooks to copy one another's (as a Scribe Wizard, I'll be able to do so at a rate of 2 minutes per spell level, which speeds things up by a factor of 60!)

Thanks to the Awakened Spellbook feature, specifically the one that allows you to swap the damage of spells that are the same level, I'm going to try to get at least one spell of unconventional damage. For example, having Magic Missile means that any 1st level spell I cast that damages things will be able to do Force damage, which almost nothing can resist. Getting Fireball and Lightning Bolt at 3rd level means I'll be set in most cases (though grabbing Tidal Wave or Thunder Step would give me some damage types that would be even less likely for them to resist.)

We haven't played a session yet - we're giving the DM time to build up a campaign for these characters and get the more specific details of their backstories. But I'm very excited to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment