Tuesday, December 21, 2021

And Another New Character!

 My regular Sunday D&D campaign has been on a bit of a sidequest for a few weeks. Our campaign had grown very convoluted, and the character whose backstory was at its center was played by a player who became a dad about six months ago - meaning he had to find an excuse to exit, and our DM decided that she couldn't really make the campaign work without efforts she did not have the energy to make.

So, we are starting a new campaign, and we had our session zero yesterday (though we won't start the campaign until January).

As you might just barely be able to imagine, I've been wanting to play an Armorer Artificer more or less since I got Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. I did play one in a high-level one-shot, but that didn't really count.

The campaign is taking place in the Spelljammer setting, though our DM has emphasized that it will be a while before we get any sort of spaceship of our own. We're all starting off in Leira Trading Center, the major spaceport on the dark side of Selune, Toril's moon (Toril being the world of the Forgotten Realms). The folks in Leira are obsessed with beauty and fashion, and are also convinced that any day now, the people of Toril are going to invade (most people on Toril have no idea that anyone lives on the moon).

My Artificer is a bit of an odd duck, then, as I've conceived of him as a guy who is very much a function-over-form guy, often covered in engine grease.

Unexpectedly, the plans for every character in the party are all subclasses that I'd want to try - we have a Plasmoid Rogue who is going to be going Soulknife (in part so that he can squeeze into spaces and not have to worry about his weapons fitting). Then, there's an Astral Elf Twilight Cleric, a Rock Gnome Aberrant Mind Sorcerer, and a Circle of Stars Druid (race TBD).

Actually, it's a very good spread - we're going to have party members with high scores in nearly every ability score - just not Strength. And if I go Guardian Mode, we'll have a pretty good range of utility, damage, and support covered.

Naturally, it will be a little while before some of us get our subclasses, so I'm starting off with Fire Bolt as my main damage cantrip. I might go with Green-Flame Blade if it becomes clear that I'm always going to be in Guardian mode, but it would be cool to be able to play both styles in different scenarios. I also think taking something like Frostbite would be a reasonable option to give me some range, which could then be my melee option if I'm ever in Infiltrator mode (and unlike on my Eldritch Knight, the saving throw DC would actually be decent.)

Anyway, it's finally happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment