Sunday, April 10, 2022

A Thorough Playthrough of Elden Ring

 After respeccing my "paladin" to be more of a dragon communion caster (and man, it's nice to see boss health just melt away under those breaths) I decided to make a character that was decidedly physical-based, using weapons and such. I figured it'd be fun to get some of the insane giant weapons, so I'm making him a strength-based character. When picking out classes to start off with, I was looking at the Hero, Warrior, etc., but ultimately decided that the class that would give me the most freedom was the Wretched - you start off with nothing but a club and 10s in every stat.

While this makes the early part of the game a desperate scramble to find some armor and a better weapon, it allows you to put your levels only into stats that are relevant to you, and because you're starting at a lower level, the exponential curve on those levels is a little gentler.

So far, I've only put levels into Strength, Vigor, and Endurance - I got my Strength up to 26 so I could wield the Rusty Anchor weapon, and I've been putting more into Vigor and Endurance to make me a little more durable (I've actually started going back to my Lordsworn Greatsword now that I have a decent shield, as I can't actually use the anchor with a shield if I want to stay at a medium equip load).

Anyway, the other change in the approach to the game that I've made is that I'm being very thorough. I haven't actually fought Margit the Fell Omen yet because my plan is to try to do every mini-dungeon, and possibly every world boss, in Limgrave before I move on to Stormveil Castle.

Doing so has revealed several mini-dungeons I never went to on my older characters. I even met Patches finally. After I felt reasonably confident I'd found all the dungeons on the Weeping Penninsula, I went and did Castle Morne and beat the Leonine Misbegotten, which took a few tries, but I got him down.

So I'm almost certainly powerful enough to enter Stormveil Castle, but I want to be really thorough.

One of my motivations here is to try to get some questlines I'd missed on older characters. For instance, I know they gave Nepheli Loux more stuff in the patch, but on my second character, I talked to her in the Albinauric Village in Liurnia and then beat the boss there, only to come back later and find her two axes left behind there, as if she had died.

With this character, I've had more extensive interactions with Bloody Finger Hunter Yura, and I've met Kenneth Haight, who I'd never seen on older characters.

There are also a number of items and spells I'd never gotten on those older characters. So, it's been an interesting, if slow-going process.

No comments:

Post a Comment