Sunday, April 3, 2022

Malenia Ain't Messing Around

 So, apparently I'd already gotten to Malenia, the ultimate boss of Miquella's Haligtree/Ephael. I think she more or less represents the "Nameless King" equivalent of Elden Ring - a secret boss hidden behind another secret boss, with an extensive "dungeon."

Malenia has two phases - the first is "Blade of Miquella" and the second is "God of Rot." The biggest thing that complicates this fight is that she will heal a little bit each time she hits anything, which effectively increases her HP and can erase progress you make. As a ranged sorcerer, the main thing I tend to have to look out for is this kind of blade-storm ability she does repeatedly that is very hard to dodge out of.

So far, I've gotten her down to about 1/3 of her health in the second phase, but attacks become harder to dodge and generally, by this point, she's carved through whatever spirit ash I've been using, giving me less interference to get distance and pelt her from afar (she also has a long-range attack in this second phase). Ironically, the Scarlet Rot status effect only really becomes a factor in phase 2.

I've tried two main spirit ashes - the Mimic Tear, with which I just hope the tear will shoot off stuff like Meteorite of Astel to knock her down or Black Knife Tiche, who often does knock her down and also hits her with nasty DoTs. My own spells tend to be Ranni's Dark Moon, which I try to pelt her with enough to inflict frostbite, and then I go for Stars of Ruin as my main damage spell.

It's a tough fight, but it ought to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment