Ah, ok!
So apparently the various bits of Cyberware you can get installed will often scale with a given attribute. I'm super-invested in Intelligence, so I've been going through and making sure that I get all pieces that scale with that, though there are some slots that don't seem to have any pieces that work with it.
My general sense is that a character will want to kind of mix their traits, but to largely focus on just two or maybe three. I've been racing to what I assume is the cap for Intelligence at 20 (I assume it's the cap for everything - not unlike stats in D&D) and then will probably go for Technical Ability next.
I'm not really champing at the bit to start a new V, though I have thought that a kind of corpo cyborg samurai would be fun, maybe going Body/Reflex and Cool?
Anyway, I am having the usual open world issue where part of me just wants to race through the main story missions while part of me doesn't want to get ahead of myself and ensure I'm doing enough side quests to keep all my gear as top-grade as possible.
I've now done a story chapter outside the city, which is a nice bit of scenery change, and I've met some of the Nomads, one of the three backgrounds you can pick, including one character I assume is going to be a major figure in the game moving forward.
The weird irony of my build is that I don't really care that much about weapons. I basically only fire when my hacking RAM is on cooldown. And I've gotten pretty good at hacking into cameras in a location and then using those to do quickhacks on the foes inside. Ideally, they're all down before I even step into the building. I did a side-gig where I had to rescue a doctor who had been held against her will by Maelstrom (a real psychotic and evil gang) and more or less wiped out all the enforcers there while sitting up on some ducts outside the building.
The risk here is that they can often trace your location when you do this, but ideally you take them all out before that becomes a problem. I can't recall if I have some perks that help me mitigate that.
Anyway, I now have all the cyberware slots filled (except the extra ones you unlock with perks in the Technical Ability tree) including an Intelligence-scaling Monowire, which has proven a pretty effective melee weapon.
Also, the Cyberpsychos don't seem so impossible to deal with now. You're generally supposed to take them down nonlethally (the overall goal of these missions is to try to find a way to rehabilitate them,) and luckily the game seems to assume that's what you're trying to do, so I think when they hit 1% they go down and turn off any Damage-over-time effects you have. (Contagion, a quickhack that does poison damage over time and spreads between foes, has proven a very efficient way to deal with big groups of enemies - though it doesn't work on robots and drones).
Anyway, I find myself flooded with various Fixers and people calling me with jobs, which I think is a measure of my Street Cred - basically, as you do more missions and jobs, you earn a reputation. Mine must be as a terrifying Netrunner who can wipe out a building without being seen. Indeed, given the things I've pulled off, I do think that it makes sense I'm making a name for myself.
I am super curious to see what the game's story is like for the other two backgrounds. It makes total sense that my Street Kid character would get mixed up in all of these dangerous jobs, but I'm really curious to see how a Corpo gets dragged into it. I could imagine a world in which it's a totally different story, or at least the route to getting involved in the biochip heist is a different one, but I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment