Thursday, July 30, 2026

What Will D&D Star Wars Look Like?

 So, when I was I think 9 years old, I got into Star Wars. Like, really, really into Star Wars. My family had the movies (at the time, there were only the three from the original trilogy) on LaserDisc (a format that was superior to VHS, but 100% obsolete once DVDs came out - think vinyl-record-sized discs, and you'd typically have to have a feature length movie on both sides of one disc and one side of another).

For a long time (in my memory it was like months, but was probably like a couple weeks) I would watch two Star Wars movies a day - starting with A New Hope (yes, the home video versions had that on the opening crawl, though the packaging just said "Star Wars") and then Empire Strikes Back, then the following day would be Return of the Jedi and A New Hope, and then the next day was Empire and Jedi, and then repeat.

While I haven't seen those movies in years, I'm sure that if I were to watch them again I'd be able to say almost all the dialogue along with the characters.

But my love of Star Wars kind of faded over time. The term "copium" wasn't a thing in 1999, but 13-year-old me certainly worked pretty hard to convince myself that Episode One was good. By the time the second prequel came out, I had decided Phantom Menace wasn't good, but I worked pretty hard to make myself thing Attack of the Clones was. The process repeated, but with shorter turn-around times.

Still, despite thinking the prequels were crap and the sequels were a bizarre mess (I liked Rian Johnson's deconstructive take, but it seems like no one at Lucasfilm seemed to have actually planned the trilogy out in advance, which is utterly insane for such a massive IP,) I do love that world. I think there's a reason that people keep wanting to go there and expand the Star Wars universe - it just scratches this itch.

I will say, of the Disney-era stuff, by far my favorite was Andor - though I've only seen the first season, as my access to Disney Plus lapsed before the second season came out (which I've heard is even better).

But I think it goes to show you that Star Wars is a world that can support lots of different stories (I actually really liked the early episodes of The Mandalorian, when it was more in that pulp-novel, wandering hero mode with very little dialogue. It kind of got buried under all the "lore" and the desire to backdoor pilot other shows). It can be a family-friendly adventure, or a gritty drama about how difficult it is to fight an authoritarian regime.

Now, I think that there's an elephant in the room we should address: SW5E is a hack of D&D 5E that is designed to allow you to run adventures in the Star Wars universe. It gets around copyright laws by being entirely free. Notably, it was this hack of the system that Dimension 20 used for A Starstruck Odyssey (naturally hacking it a bit more to work in the Starstruck universe).

In other words, you might argue that this product isn't really necessary - though I think the sheen of "official" will probably make it more popular.

Anyway, Star Wars is interesting because I do think it's primarily a fantasy setting. But it clearly has a science-fiction aesthetic, and it's probably more accurate to describe it as science-fantasy (arguably it's the quintessential example).

Indeed, when they released the 5E Spelljammer set, I think I had built that setting up to be something it isn't, which was science-fantasy, whereas Spelljammer is much more truly "fantasy in space," with its tall ships sailing between the stars.

What I was looking for, frankly, was something more akin to Star Wars, with laser guns and robots and enclosed spaceships. I adore the used future aesthetic, where the ships have rusty hulls scorched by oblique blaster bolts they managed to shrug off. It's certainly more in line with how I portrayed my "Sarkon Starbound" setting when I ran a brief campaign using Spelljammer rules (I think every player was one of the Spelljammer species - a Thri-kreen, a Giff, an Autognome, and an Astral Elf).

Now, what I'm really curious to see is how they handle the magic and magical classes of D&D.

See, as I understand it, Star Wars' magic is kind of all tied up in The Force, and while I'm sure some of the expanded materials do touch on other kinds of Force Users, in the movies at least we basically only ever see the Jedi and Sith. (I do like that Rogue One had someone who was devout toward the Force but with no special abilities. It's a reminder that you don't have to be a Cleric or Paladin to be religious in D&D!) How that squares with 5E, which is a system in which most PCs have some kind of magical ability, will be curious.

It'll probably be a while before we see this one. While the Warcraft book (I think just singular?) is coming in November, we got just the barest teaser for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment