Tuesday, June 30, 2015

PSA: (Relatively) Easily Obtained 695 Weapons

Tanaan Jungle is chock full of stuff to do, and while a lot of us are (or I am at least) more focused on raising those reputations to revered by the time the mini-patch enabling flying comes around (Hand of the Prophet accomplished - the others should take only about two more days,) one of the really great things that have been added are the Baleful Apexis Crystal gear.

Next to the Order of the Awakened quartermaster (the one who gives you the only OatA quest,) there's an Outcast who will sell Baleful pieces - these are just like the ones you'll sometimes find out in the Jungle, and will become a piece of spec-appropriate 650, or if you're lucky and it gets an epic upgrade, 675 gear.

You can buy these pieces for Apexis crystals if you don't want to rely on luck. I believe there are different prices depending on the slot, but weapons and trinkets are sold as well (not sure if the trinkets have randomized stats or if they're a closed set like the pieces you get from non-raid follower missions.)

Weapons will cost you 10,000 Apexis Crystals, which is certainly a lot, especially given that you'll likely have something better than 650. However, there's also an item you can buy for 20,000 that will upgrade any Baleful piece - including weapons - to 695.

For reference: Mythic Dungeons drop 685 gear, baseline (I think they have a chance to upgrade to like 705.) The very best gear that drops in Hellfire Citadel's LFR is also 685.

So, for 30k Apexis Crystals, you can get a weapon that surpasses pretty much any other casual content.

30k is pretty steep, but allowing you to upgrade a weapon will have a serious impact on your player power, and it will make further dailies or other activities a lot easier. This also means that if you really detest LFR, you can more or less bypass it as a means of getting geared up - though it will take some time.

Still, doing all the Tanaan Jungle content will net you a few thousand crystals, and the old dailies haven't gone away either. I think I know what my alts are going to be up to for the next several months (though my cloth characters will definitely be doing LFR. I actually really like the cloth gear in HFC LFR - makes me think of an NES-era Final Fantasy Black Mage.)

A bit of advice - Baleful weapons will drop for you occasionally, and buying them is cheaper than buying the upgrade token. So I'd recommend that you wait until you get a piece with your favored secondary stats (I was lucky and my DK got Haste/Multistrike... which were his best the last time I checked) before you commit to the upgrade.

I also don't know what happens if you try to upgrade a piece that, by luck, upgraded to 675. I assume it doesn't jump to 720, because that would be a bit ridiculous (I think that's at heroic or even mythic raiding levels.) I'd know, but the sword I got on my main has the wrong secondary stats and also I'm saving up for the Corrupted Dreadwing - mounts last forever, gear lasts until your next upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment