Thursday, June 25, 2020

Shadowlands Reveal Stream Rescheduled for July 8th

Blizzard had planned to do a stream to reveal new information about the upcoming Shadowlands expansion earlier this month, but decided (wisely, I think) that such a thing would come off as sort of tone-deaf as the national conversation was focused much more on the history and heritage of racism in our country.

While that conversation is far from over (and I think Blizzard needs to do some work on its own issues of racial representation - the new human customization options are a good start, but there's still a ton to look at) I also understand that they're on a schedule that will require them to get some info out there about Shadowlands before it releases - presumably some time this fall.

So, the stream has been rescheduled for early July.

What can we expect to see?

I think the biggest element will probably be a release date for the expansion. Despite everyone working from home, Blizzard has made steady progress on adding more content to the alpha test, and while they haven't yet started the broader beta test, it does look at this point like a lot of the game's content is out there. At this point, I think the main super-important feature to test that I don't think is out there quite yet is Soulbinds, which have the potential to help balance the covenants, giving the developers more knobs with which to tune the covenant choices to be in line with one another. Given that I'm intending to make my choices of covenant entirely based on what I feel would be right for the given character (though skewing toward allowing my first four characters to take one of each) I do really hope I won't feel like I've messed up with some insanely sub-par choice just because it actually makes a lot of sense for my Demon Hunter to go Necrolords or whatever.

I also suspect we might get a sense of what the first "major" raid will be, possibly taking place in the Maw (though it'd be very odd if we take out the Jailer in 9.1, unless they confirm that there's a different big bad. Maybe Sylvanas? Or vice-versa?)

We won't have a Blizzcon this year for obvious reasons, but I also think they'll probably hold off on any big 9.2 reveals until the expansion's actually out.

No comments:

Post a Comment