Thursday, November 12, 2020

Console Choice and Titles

 A console lives or dies on its games. I don't know if it's just that I'm older now and more jaded (and thus demand only super-high-quality games to spend my cash on) or if I'm just misremembering the rate at which I got games when I was younger. But I also wonder about what games would make it worth getting a new console at this time.

As of now, the only game that is really peaking my interest in grabbing a PS5 is Demon's Souls, a remake of an 11-year-old game that I never played, though I've played three of its spiritual successors. There are some wow-moments watching the lighting and particle effects from that game, though as always, I feel like each generation feels like less of an impressive leap as we near photo-realism or some kind of graphical saturation point.

I would say that the game that is likely to really push me over the edge to get a PS5 is the second part of Final Fantasy VII Remake, whenever that comes out - we have yet to get any sort of preview or trailer, and while I imagine that if Square doesn't futz too much with the engine/systems created for the first part, the wait will hopefully not be as long as it was for this year's laudable launch.

Actually, with VIIR reigniting my love for Final Fantasy, I'm now curious to check out XVI, which seems to be the next big project for Square-Enix.

I would, personally, be overjoyed to hear of a Bloodborne II, but I would not be shocked if From chose to leave the game as a near-unimpeachable standalone title. Elden Ring was announced a while ago, and we have yet to hear more about that - will it be a true Soulsborne successor or more of a Sekiro-like departure?

As a WoW player, I'm likely to focus most of my gaming energy on the very-soon Shadowlands expansion, which promises to be a really exciting one. And of course there's D&D (though as usual, that's limited to when I can get friends together).

So while I'm thinking I might jump on the console boat a little earlier this go around, I do think I'll be waiting to see how the library develops and figure out which games I'll start my library with.

No comments:

Post a Comment