Friday, November 13, 2020

Errata for Eberron Makes Some Changes to Prepare for Setting-Agnostic Artificers, Etc.

 The Artificer was maybe the most exciting addition to the game in Eberron: Rising From the Last War - the first new whole class added to 5th Edition since its launch. But given that it came in a campaign setting book, there are some world-specific elements to the class that need some reworking, and thus some errata has been implemented to keep the Artificer consistent. Additionally, there are a couple changes that I'm pretty happy with that aren't part of the class, but still cool.

But let's start with the Artificer!

First off, the Homunculus servant, which is sort of an Artificer version of a familiar, can now be made as soon as the player has the ability to infuse items - no longer requiring level 6. It also has an updated stat block (which I think might be rewritten more for clarity, and the fact that they're now abbreviating proficiency bonus to PB). They also specify that if the Homunculus Servant dies, it leaves its heart in its space, which should make re-creating it a lot easier.

The Replicate Magic Item infusion option now allows you to create any common magic item that isn't a potion or scroll - which broadens the possibilities and also opens up new options as new books come out, which is cool.

Armblades, Prosthetic Limbs, and Wand Sheathes have been removed from the list of items you can infuse - the former and latter being Warforged-only, which limits them to certain settings (though I'll tell you that I have a blanket rule that any playable race from an official publication is A-OK in my setting - I even have a specific justification for Warforged. I still haven't figured out exactly where Vedalken come from, though...)

While they lost those options, they do get the Necklace of Adaptation as a 10th level replicate item option (it requires attunement, which I assume the base magic item does too, unless that's why they felt the need to add that).

Finally, outside the class proper, the Prosthetic Limb magic item no longer requires attunement. I think this is a good move, as for one thing, you can imagine a prosthetic limb that isn't magical at all (you know, like in the real world) and also, I think this makes it less punishing for a player to play a disabled character.

With just four days to go, I'm very excited to get my hands on Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and while I haven't been playing Adventurer's League much what with the plague, once I can do so again, I'm really eager to bust out an artificer (I just need to decide between Battle-Smith, Armorer, and Artillerist, all of which are really appealing to me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment