Sunday, October 10, 2021

Almost There - Trying to 100% Metroid Dread

 Dear lord are some of these items hard to get.

In Super Metroid, the Shinespark was a semi-hidden ability. There are some friendly aliens who will introduce you to the Shinespark and the Wall Jump (and if you go back to the Bomb Chozo's room as you're escaping Zebes, you can save them from the planet's destruction).

In Metroid Dread, the Shinespark feature of the Speed Booster is explicitly mentioned in the item description, but the nuances of the Shinespark are complex.

To clarify: the Shinespark is a move you get with the speed booster that allows you to rocket in a certain direction, dealing insane damage and also, crucially, smashing speed booster blocks. To do it, you need to get a running start to the point where you Speed Booster goes off. Then you crouch by hitting down. You'll start to glow purple, and then the next time you hit the jump button without holding a direction, you'll get a second or so to pick a direction and then start hurtling that way.

What makes this tricky is that you only have a couple seconds in which to use it before it simply fades away.

But even beyond that, there's another trick that is required to get some of the items in Metroid Dread. If you hit a diagonal surface with the Shinespark (and I think only if you hit it at an oblique angle) you can quickly press down again and the timer on the Shinespark will reset.

You can also still jump with it as long as you tilt the joystick sideways while pressing B.

And, you can cancel out of a spin by hitting L.

So, putting this all together, there are puzzles where you need to first get a running start, then jump and hit a diagonal surface, preserve the Shinespark, and then jump to another platform and shinespark again toward a different diagonal surface, and then jump up to a place where there are speed booster blocks.

It is not easy.

So, with these tricks in hand, I've managed to (with some help from guides, but honestly execution is the real challenge here) get 100% of the items in Artaria, Cataris, Dairon, Gharvoran, Ferenia, and Elun. There is one sadistically cruel one of these Shinespark puzzles in Burenia that gives you basically just the bare minimum of space to get the speed booster running, then requires you do jump through some narrow gaps and shoot out a few beam blocks, then has you need to reset the timer twice. I think this one's going to take like an hour for me to get right.

Beyond Burenia, I have a couple items to get in Hanubia and then I'll have 100% of the items, I believe, at which point I'll head to Itorash and finish the game.

Future run-throughs I'm sure I will not bother getting 100% of the items, but seeing as I'll probably already have 10+ hours played, I figured I'd take the time to grab everything.

Again, I hope that they consider making DLC for this. Also, I hope that Metroid games become an at least once-per-console series (to be fair, they only missed the N64 and Wii U,) as I don't want to have to wait until I'm in my 50s for the next one (we'll see if and when Metroid Prime 4 comes out.) DLC is admittedly a tricky proposition for a game like this, which is very much built around its own puzzle-box labyrinth. I think it would be cool to have a kind of playable epilogue in which you keep all the stuff you got in the main game (maybe standardizing missiles, power bombs, and energy tanks given that you can't go back and collect things given how the game ends.)

No comments:

Post a Comment