Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Going for Speed in a Second Metroid Dread Run

 I am by no means a speedrunner. But I figured I'd try a second run of Metroid Dread. The only real difference in my approach here is that A: I've already beaten the game, so I know what I'm facing (though I don't always remember exactly where I'm supposed to go) and B: I'm not going for 100% of the items. I'm picking up things that I can get along the regular route, but unless I find myself underprepared to face Raven Beak, I don't think I'm going to put much effort into grabbing everything.

My initial run was about 12 hours. On this second run, I've just gotten back from my first trip to Elun (and given that I'm not item-farming, it might be my only one) having picked up the Plasma Beam, and the light-blue EMMI has just been re-activated, so I think Ice Missiles are coming soon (it's crazy to me how soon you get Ice Missiles after getting Super Missiles).

If we're judging true bosses as the ones that have the weird little door-worms, I've one-shot three (Corpius, Kraid, and Drogyga). The first Robot Chozo got me once, but I took it out on the second try. Then, the first Elite Chozo Warrior gave me a little more trouble (annoyingly, I got him to the final counter-attack on the second try and then jumped the gun on the counter, and then instantly got killed,) taking 3 tries.

While I'd like to clear the 4-hour goal on this, being two and a half hours into this run, I suspect it'll be down to the wire (to be fair, I definitely think I'm past the midpoint) though I think I'll very likely hit the 8 hour goal.

I haven't tried Hard Mode yet, but I think the game's tough enough. I don't know that I need to unlock absolutely everything, of course, but it's a fun game. I suspect this is one I'll be coming back to years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment