Monday, February 28, 2022

Margit the Fell Omen and Figuring Out the Astrologer

 There's a lot to do in Elden Ring before you even face the first real boss, Margit the Fell Omen. I haven't beaten him, though I've gotten him down to around 25% a few times.

Having gotten teleported off to a mine full of purple crystals thanks to a trapped chest in the ruins on Agheel Lake, I found myself in a far less hospitable looking place with weird mushrooms and red skies. I was able to then find the Meteorite Staff, which was actually better than my +3 starting staff and even has better Intelligence scaling.

I also came across an elevator that took me deep, deep, deep underground to an underground river, but the enemies seemed a little tough for me, so I scooted back up.

One thing I love about this game in comparison to other FromSoft titles is its embrace of color. The Dark Souls games have always been fairly monochromatic, but Elden Ring has regions that just pop with vibrancy.

I've also gotten my invitation to Round Table Hold, which appears to be the sort of central hub akin to Firelink Shrine, though in theory you shouldn't have to go there as often given that you can level up in the field.

I think that the open-world design really makes it very tough to feel like you've thoroughly checked territories to make sure you've gotten everything. I have still yet to find an Ash of War that gives me intelligence scaling on a weapon, which would be very useful given that even with a few flask upgrades, I still find myself running out of FP on occasion.

I am feeling a strong impulse to go back and try the game with a Strength-based character (or maybe the Strength/Faith Confessor). Some of the new wrinkles to combat, like the Guard Counter, aren't really doable with the dinky wooden shield an Astrologer starts with.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I want to explore more and possibly level up some more before I try to take down Margit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment