Monday, February 28, 2022

Stormveil Castle Cleared

Annoyingly, after beating a non-respawning miniboss (which may have been the intentionally-hard boss fight at the beginning of the game) we had a two-minute power outage, and apparently Elden Ring doesn't save progress as frequently as Dark Souls, so I wound up having to re-do the hardest part of Stormveil Castle.

However, shockingly, Godrick the Grafted, the boss of the dungeon, only took me three attempts. There's a very effective NPC ally you can recruit, and Gordrick's attacks are very melee-heavy, so for the most part I was able to stay far away and pelt him. Margit the Fell Omen was a bit trickier, though that might have been more because of my build - Margit can close distance very easily, making ranged fighters less safe and secure, while Godrick's fast movement ability is something that is pretty well-telegraphed and fairly easy to dodge. (Margit also has this two-hit combo where the first attack comes super-quickly and then the second attack lingers a little longer than you'd think it should, baiting you to dodge before you're supposed to).

So far I haven't gotten any kind of upgrade spell over Glintstone Pebble - in Dark Souls, for example, you pretty early on get upgrades to Soul Arrow (the standard attack sorcery) like Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Soul Arrow, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow, the last of which becomes the most efficient damage-to-FP attack spell and a good default.

I don't know if I've just overlooked upgrades or if I'm just too early in the game to have earned an upgrade yet.

I am going into this game far more blind than I ever did with a Soulsborne game - indeed, at this point there are few things in the game that I haven't yet seen in previews.

I get the impression that this game has drawn a lot bigger of an audience than previous Soulsborne games, and a lot of people on Twitter have been complaining about its crushing difficulty. I actually agree that this is easier than Dark Souls III, but that is sort of a low bar to clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment