Saturday, September 12, 2026

Diablo V Announced

 Well, that's a bit of a quicker turnaround!

Just a teaser, I think, so far, but Diablo V apparently takes place in a Sanctuary that is somehow even worse than usual. The world has fallen to ruin, conquered by the Lord of Terror himself.

Supposedly, there will be no safe towns in which to rest and take shelter.

I'm curious to see how that affects the way the game actually plays: in Diablo IV, for instance, there's a tremendous amount of stuff you need to do in town to fine-tune and enhance your characters' traits and abilities (in fact, I think it got kind of out of hand, to be honest).

Personally, I'd wish for a stripped-down and simpler version of the game, with more of an emphasis on smart moment-to-moment gameplay than optimizing to a razor's edge so that nothing lasts more than two second against your assaults.

Look, I know that much bigger fans of the franchise would string me up for this, but I actually think the world of Diablo would lend itself very well to a Souls-like game, inverting its "killing thousands of monsters at a time" style in favor of something that required careful play and planning to face each enemy. But I fully recognize that that's not what the franchise has ever been, and this is my imposition of another gameplay style onto it.

Anyway, part of why Diablo IV's character progression got so profoundly convoluted was because it had two expansions stacked on top of the original game, so it's probably good to get a nice reset here.

No comments:

Post a Comment