I only became a Remedy fan three years ago, and as a relative newcomer, I've only played three of their games, but those three games, Alan Wake, Control, and Alan Wake II, left a huge impression on me, so I've been getting hyped up for Control Resonant, nervous about whether I'll actually enjoy the switch to fast-paced melee action gameplay.
I mean, I was nervous about Alan Wake II's switch to full-on survival horror, and even though I don't actually think that I loved the combat in it, the atmosphere and experience of the game and its story was superlative, almost instantly becoming probably my favorite narrative in all of gaming.
I had considered getting the super-duper deluxe edition, but I think the main reason to go for such deals is if they include free access to the DLC(s), which all three of the Remedy games I've played have had. But that means I have to wait a little bit longer.
And, stupidly, I scheduled a doctor's appointment for the middle of Thursday, the day it comes out. Stupid physical body requiring maintenance!
Anyway, I'm eager to get lost in the game. Remedy does game narrative like no one else, and their particular blend of horror, modern fantasy, and sci fi ideas (or rather, the blurring of the lines between said genres) speaks very directly to my own taste in genre fiction.
I know that there's only one ending to the game, but I'm slightly nervous about reports that certain quests/missions can go poorly if certain decisions are made or challenges failed, as I'm a real perfectionist with my games. I prefer a game to just let me keep trying if I didn't get the result I wanted.
I'm also a little nervous that reviews seem to suggest the game is on the difficult side. That might seem absurd coming from someone who plays FromSoft's games and loves them, but I think there's something about their style of difficulty that clicks with me - being generally slower-paced, it's often not hard to figure out what you did wrong, while fast-paced action games can sometimes be hard to parse.
But yeah, I mean, I died plenty of times in Alan Wake II (though I maintain that my struggles with the Cynthia fight were more due to glitches that probably got fixed in patches) and it didn't make me adore that game any less. So maybe I've got nothing to worry about.
It's notable that Sam Lake has been almost totally absent from the marketing of the game. I believe that he was not as directly involved in it as he was with the first Control or, of course, Alan Wake II. Given, well, the entire story of Alan Wake II, I imagine that he's somewhat uncomfortable being the "face" of Remedy (almost literally, given that he's the likeness for Max Payne) even if his creative vision has been the guiding one for the studio's games for the last quarter-century or so.
I'm sort of skeptical of the "auteur" theory, which arose in the 1960s as a somewhat subversive response/contrast with the institutional studio system of early Hollywood. It's interesting that this framing and philosophy around art (cinema in this case, but it applies to other media) began as a rebellion against stuffy, corporate institutions, but at some point, it started to justify a lot of egoism and erasure of the auteur's collaborators. I truly think that the central crux of Alan Wake II's themes was the need to release that drive to own the enire creative process and make your work all about you, specifically. Alan only succeeds by allowing others to put themselves into the art he began, and I for sure think that Sam Lake was thinking about how he needed co-writers and other people to contribute for Remedy to finally crack the Alan Wake sequel after thirteen years.
I'm very curious to see how Control Resonant carries on and elaborates on the themes of Control. Seven years is less time than thirteen, but it's still actually a pretty big gap between an original game and its sequel (though Alan Wake II lands nearly smack dab in the middle of that gap,) and obviously they're changing quite a bit with the second game.
But I don't think I'll have the chance to read into the subtext, or perhaps meta-text is a more precise term, of how the game relates to its own creation until I get to play through it.
I've heard that there are fewer findable lore documents than there were in the first game, which is a shame. It might sound insane to someone who hasn't experienced the original game, but truly one of the most fun things about Control was finding some office memo to read. Still, it might simply be that they wish to explore alternate vehicles for conveying that background lore.
Speaking of vehicles, apparently there are shops that you can find that are ice cream trucks with a discordant melody playing from them. I'm so profoundly into that Control aesthetic.
No comments:
Post a Comment