Yes, it looks like Blizzard is returning to the Starcraft franchise, though I'll warn diehard RTS fans out there, if you're one of those people who for a solid decade was wondering when this weird little MMORPG spin-off game would give way to a true Warcraft IV, you might feel some disappointment that Starcraft (supposedly just called "Starcraft," though there's an image that seems to call it Starcraft Dominion) is going to be an open-world shooter game.
We only have a cinematic trailer, which shows a young recruit to the Terran Dominion's space marines, rising up through the ranks as he, notably, doesn't actually engage in any combat but just trains a whole lot.
Starcraft is a far more cynical game setting than, say, Warcraft, and so the moment he gets out to face the Zerg Swarm, his gun jams and there's an abrupt cut to some technician salvaging his armor, opening a drain where his liquified remains pour out.
Now, a lot of people have commented on the fact that, with a 2030 release announcement, this feels a bit early to even tell us about it. And there's a history of games like this being announced well in advance and then being canceled quietly.
We shall see.
To be honest, I don't know that I'm really that interested in a dark and cynical Starship Troopers-like dark military sci-fi game. We've already had games like Helldivers 2 or the Warhammer 40k Space Marine game, so I'm curious to see how Blizzard intends to set their game apart from these others.
I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with every bit of news coming out of Blizzcon, but this seemed notable to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment