Friday, November 3, 2017

Six New(ish) Races? And More Coming? An Altoholic's Dilemma

I love rolling up new characters. These days the characters rarely make it beyond level 20 or so, but I get pretty excited with the prospect of stepping into a new pair of roleplaying shoes, as it were.

And man am I intrigued by the prospect of new playable races - and so many of them!

But I already have a ton of alts.

They've only added character slots to servers when introducing new classes. They didn't in Wrath, because there were already 10 slots when they added the 10th class. But with Monks and Demon Hunters, they wanted to make sure you had a slot for each.

Guess what? My main Alliance and main Horde server are both full!

So with six new races and potentially more on the way, I've got to figure out what to do about that.

Because of my odd OCD-like tendencies, I like to have a character of each class at the level cap. That's not getting any harder this time. But I also like to have at least one character of each race (for the faction) on my main servers. I don't have any max-level Trolls, Goblins, or Orcs, but they're up there.

I also have a rule (again, arbitrary and maybe pathological) that none of my original characters can be deleted.

So this means an odd shuffle. In Cataclysm, I transferred my Horde characters to a different server so I could level up alts in the new zones, but naturally, given the name of the blog, both sides filled up, and over the years I've grown somewhat attached to some of the Cata-babies (the Worgen Warrior and Draenei Mage supplanted the respective Orc and Troll characters as the ones of those classes I focus on.)

So to make room for all these new guys, I'll have to figure something out.

Thankfully, my Alliance server was combined with another, meaning that if I don't want to replace some of those characters, I can just roll new ones on the alternate server (where I don't have much of an attachment to any of the half-formed alts) but my Horde server is very popular and thus hasn't been merged with any others. So unless they create cross-server guilds (and hey, that's not a terrible idea) I'll have to do a bit of a cull with the Horde server if I want my Nightborne, Zandalari, and Highmountain characters. (Thankfully, I have a Tauren Paladin and a Troll Druid I wouldn't mind restarting as Highmountain and Zandalari assuming that they get the same class options. Actually, I've also got a Dwarf Shaman on my Alliance server who I could see rerolling as Dark Iron if given the option.)

Anyway, this is technically a good problem to have, and I could also just do what normal people do and, you know, not roll every single goddamn thing that Blizzard gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment