Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Ah, the Timing of Book Releases

For the last year, the players in my D&D campaign have been stuck in a region of the Shadowlands (my world's version of the Shadowfell because when the DMG has a chapter called "making a multiverse," I can't say no to changing everything a little bit.) They are only about two or three sessions from getting out (there's basically one last area for them to explore and beat the "final boss.")

So naturally this is when Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes would come out with a ton of Shadowfell creatures like the Sorrowsworn - monstrous representations of the dark emotions of the plane (to be fair, my version of the Shadowfell is somewhat more colorful - it's more like the Dark World from A Link to the Past mixed with a bunch of imagery from Stephen King's Dark Tower series.)

So I'm preparing to run a session tonight and I'm really wrestling with the urge to throw in some of these guys before the final battle. The thing is, even a relatively simple fight in D&D can take a long time, and we've got a hard four hour limit tonight (and we never start on time.)

There are at least four fights that should be happening in the final "dungeon" of the adventure, so adding a fifth is, I think, a bit tricky. But on the other hand, these monsters are so cool!

I'm tempted to just make a single-monster encounter, which ought to go quickly, though that might not give "The Lost" a chance to show off his cool moves. I suppose an alternative would be to replace the humanoid guards in one planned encounter with one of these guys, though it might make the fight harder than I intended.

We'll see!

(Edit: well, one of the wizards polymorphed it into a frog after one attack, then had her familiar take the frog up into a lightning storm, and the fighter caught it with his axe on the way down. So...)

No comments:

Post a Comment