Friday, June 1, 2018

D&D's Next Adventure Book is Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Man I wish I had enough time and open schedules to do all these freaking things. I loved reading D&D's adventure book from last year, Tomb of Annihilation, though I have no idea when I'd actually be able to run it (it's hard enough to get my group to meet once a week for my homebrew campaign.) I've become a bit of an obsessive collector of 5e books (I think at this point I'm only lacking the Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat books.)

Anyway, another chunk of change will be going to Wizards of the Coast in September for their next book: Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

The new adventure takes place entirely within the city of Waterdeep, the biggest city and de facto capital of Faerun in the Forgotten Realms setting. As a huge fan of RPGs going into urban settings (see all my gushing about the Suramar quests in World of Warcraft's Legion expansion,) I'm pretty damned excited about this.

Apparently the way it will work is that the adventure can have a number of different enemies - it looks as if the Zhentarim, the Xanathar gang, and other factions will be trying to secure some large treasure and it's the players' job to prevent them from getting it.

The book should go into quite a bit of detail about Waterdeep and its various districts, and it'll also apparently get into details about how to run a city with, you know, laws and guards.

The adventure will emphasize roleplay and taking a non-violent approach - encouraging the party to defeat the bad guys not through combat but by playing politics and intrigue right - they say that while you might have the opportunity to kill, say, the Xanathar, it's much more likely that it will kill you.

The book is set to come out in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment