Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Smash Bros. Ultimate

There are so many big announcements coming out of E3 that I don't know I can do them all justice here, but as a fan since the original on the N64, I've got to talk Smash Bros.

Smash Bros. Ultimate is the game that's going to finally get me to stop procrastinating and get a Nintendo Switch (I always intended to, but given that I've had my PS4 for like two years (maybe 3?) and have only a couple games for it, I'm hesitant to shell out for consoles these days (it feels as if they're coming faster these days, but I think it's actually just that I'm getting older and five years feels a lot shorter than it once did.)

So what's the deal with Smash Bros. Ultimate?

The biggest thing is: every single character that has ever been in a Smash Bros. game is coming back.

Yes, that means Snake, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Toon Link, Cloud, Ryu, Roy... I'm saying that it's seriously everyone.

Everyone.

Smash has always been a more-the-merrier kind of game, and now that will mean a roster that's pushing 60 fighters.

It's not all old ones though. Remember in the intro to Melee how we saw Samus fighting Ridley?

Bam: we're getting Ridley!

We're also getting Daisy, Luigi's Peach equivalent.

Which means that the actress who plays the main character of the new Star Wars movies is now fully represented by Smash Bros. characters.

Anyway...

It looks like they're simplifying some Final Smashes - notably the Landmaster is gone, replaced with a bombardment of Arwings. As someone who's not really concerned about the eSports angle, I'm more of a fan of "the crazier the better" for this game, so I worry a bit about homogenization.

I'll be very curious to see how many stages the game has - I love all the fighters, but environments are also very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment