Sunday, September 16, 2018

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Well, I'm trying to be better about actually reading through the adventure books I get - I've developed an obsessive need to collect 5e books, but there are a couple, like Storm King's Thunder, that I haven't gotten around to actually reading.

I have no idea when I'd be able to run something in anything other than my grand homebrew setting campaign (or my friend's own homebrew setting) so these are largely for inspiration.

Dragon Heist, the first part of a two-part Waterdeep adventure, is only designed to get players to level 5. But the emphasis is a lot more on living in a city, encouraging players to find nonviolent solutions to problems and kind of detailing what life is like in the Forgotten Realms' classic metropolis.

I definitely think that when you play D&D, I'd guess most players start off with the feeling of wanting to just smash monsters, but once you get into the swing of the roleplaying, just imagining a bustling world that your character inhabits starts to feel pretty appealing.

There's a great deal of variability in this book, with a number of factions you can join that give quick side-quests, and a large part of it involves the party receiving the deed to a tavern that they can use as their base of operations, with plots involving business rivals and a poltergeist who can actually become a friend if you run the business well.

I've just gotten to a chapter that seems to really start things off in earnest, but I really have to say that I love the idea of a campaign set in a giant city. It should pair quite nicely with the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, potentially transferring the setting and replacing, say, the Zhentarim with House Dimir, the Order of the Gauntlet with the Boros Legion, and other similar equivalents.

The second part, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, is the first 5e adventure book that will take players all the way to level 20. This is one massive dungeon, with several layers that have different themes and ecologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment