Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Level Squish Impressions

 With 9.0 live today, I decided to take my Mechagnome out for a spin and see how quickly he'd level up. Before the patch came out, he was level 93 or so, I believe, and so when I logged in he was level 38. Dropping out of Draenor immediately, I went back to Stormwind and got the Chromie-time quests to head to the Broken Isles.

I played through the Broken Shore intro quests and then headed to Dalaran. I then proceeded to do all the main story quests in Val'sharah - no side quests and no bonus objectives. I ran Darkheart Thicket and have only gotten one artifact weapon.

Doing so, I've gotten from 38 to 44, which is half the leveling he had left before being ready for Shadowlands content.

Now, while there are only four leveling zones in Legion, there are also a number of class-hall quests that you can do while leveling, as well as the rather extensive Exodar scenario. So I wouldn't say that the content I've done would constitute a full quarter of what I'd expect to be doing.

A brand-new character would be arriving in the Broken Isles (or at least starting the intro quests) at level 10, meaning that you'd expect to get 40 levels out of the Broken Isles, ending up 50 by the end of it. If a zone's quests and dungeon got you a proportionate amount through it, a 4-zone leveling experience should give you ten levels per zone.

Again, I think you could argue that there's still a lot of other things one is expected to do while leveling. But I do wonder if you truly can just do a single expansion's main story quests and really hit level 50.

Obviously, it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to do a few quests in a different expansion as well - it's still going to be a lot faster to level now than it was.

I'm curious how older expansions will feel - there are definitely more zones and I'd wager more quests to do in an expansion like Wrath of the Lich King, and I wonder how it feels, proportionately.

Anyway, all that for a day's play isn't too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment