Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Adventurer's League Season Ten Rules

 The Season 10 rules for Adventurer's League have been released. I realize that most D&D players aren't familiar with AL, but it's basically the more structured format that allows players to drop in and out of quick modules at game stores. It's not quite the same as playing at home with a group of friends, but the buy-in is a lot lower.

The first really exciting bit of news is that Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is an available book for AL games - when making an AL character, you can only use things from the Player's Handbook and one additional book (and these tend to be limited to setting-agnostic books outside of Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, given that AL games tend to all take place in the Forgotten Realms.) By adding Tasha's, this allows players to play Artificers, as well as the many subclasses coming in that book (which include all four that came in the Magic crossover books.)

The other thing I'm excited to see is that we've got a preview of how the new racial customizations are going to work, and it's the simple system that I expected we'd be getting: when your race grants an ability score bonus, you can simply move that bonus to another ability. Half-Orcs get +2 Strength and +1 Con by default, but you can decide your Half-Orc has +2 to Charisma and +1 to Dex, if you'd like. And perhaps your Triton is going to take bonuses to Dexterity, Wisdom, and... well, probably still Constitution.

I'm currently waiting to get my confirmation email that my local store is ready to give me my copy of Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, but I'm also very excited for the November release of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment