Friday, September 18, 2020

Dimir Rogues

 It's a bit early for us to really start talking about deck archetypes for Zendikar Rising, but I've noticed a couple that have started to develop that I'll be following. I've built some version of both, but one of them I'm a little more confident in.

That one is Dimir Rogues. This deck uses Thieves Guild Enforcer and Soaring Thought Thief to reinforce a sort of rogue tribal theme. There are a number of rogue-themed cards in blue and black that like it when your opponent has 8 or more cards in their graveyard, or sometimes they just like it when the opponent's graveyard is stacked.

The deck isn't strictly a mill deck, though if you find yourself having a hard time with big blockers, you can hold back with various deathtouch-enabled rogues to scare off attacks while the opponent gets milled down into nothing. Glasspool Mimic is one card I use to duplicate the Enforcers so that I'm milling for a lot with each creature I play.

I played back during the Kamigawa Block on MTG Online, and one thing I remember loving was Ninjutsu - much as Kamigawa had samurai instead of knights, it had ninjas instead of rogues, and the defining Ninja mechanic was Ninjutsu, which let you trade out one of your unblocked attackers for the ninja, usually at a discounted cost, and ninjas tended to do something fun if they hit the opponent.

Zareth San, the Trickster (who is that poor merfolk who gets petrified in the cinematic trailer) is, essentially, a ninja, as he has a mechanic that lets you swap him in for an attacking creature at a reduced cost. And when he hits the opponent, you get to pick a creature from their graveyard and put it into play under your control - which is particularly great given that you've been milling them all this time.

Obviously I don't know how this is going to turn out in the longterm metagame, but I'm enjoying the deck nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment