Thursday, March 3, 2022

Facing Rennala

 Somewhat unexpectedly, I went from the Red Wolf of Radagon, squeezing out a victory, to discovering the room where one fights Renala, Queen of the Full Moon, aka the second (well, second if this is the second legacy dungeon you do) major boss of the game.

I beat the first phase of the fight, believing that it was going to be far easier than anticipated... and then the second phase began.

Phase one, Rennala is lounging on a floating chair while her students crawl around, casting hostile spells. The queen is surrounded by a bubble of golden light, which protects her from damage. To get her out of it, you need to hit three of her students that have golden bubbles themselves (these telekinetically shoot books at you, though this doesn't seem to do a ton of damage). Popping the three smaller bubbles (which doesn't require you to actually kill the student, just hit them once) will cause Rennala to fall to the ground, and you can pour some damage into her for a few seconds before she summons a new bubble, doing AoE damage and resetting.

One thing I discovered is that Rock Sling, a gravitational sorcery, deals a lot more damage to her because this seems to do a different school of magic damage. Here I am wishing there was a "raw" weapon scaling one could get, because my sword also does magic damage.

Anyway, this first phase is one of those "don't panic just because there are a lot of enemies" fights similar to the Deacons of the Deep in DS3 or the Celestial Emissary in Bloodborne.

Phase 2 I only saw a bit of, but she has some very powerful attacks that include throwing the moon at you. It's in a separate location as well. Again, Rock Sling seems to be a great option here, as I was taking off significant chunks of her health with each cast.

Anyway, I can still count this day as one of progress having gotten the Red Wolf down, but it's sort of surprising how quickly one goes from that boss to the final one of the dungeon (I guess Stormveil was quite different by having its miniboss at the very start). I suspect there will be two bosses per legacy dungeon, though again I'm finding that there are areas of these dungeons I have not really seen on my pass through - even if they are more traditional Soulsborne experiences, they're far from linear.

No comments:

Post a Comment