Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Rykard Slain!

 So, the boss of Volcano Manor is actually in a deep cavern that you only get to via a teleporter (and, very kindly, has a site of grace right outside the boss room). This is the "Storm Ruler" fight of the game, but in start contrast to Yhorm, the special weapon doesn't so much make the fight trivial as make it... possible.

I'm sure there will be some hardcore players who don't use the Serpent-Hunter, but I doubled down, upgrading my Mimic Tear to use its own version of the weapon. I was still getting one-shot until I got Radagon's Soreseal - while this increases the damage you take, it also increases your Vigor (and Endurance, and Strength, and Dexterity) and ultimately I found the fight more survivable (the endurance also helped me wear heavier armor).

Basically, you just need to dodge attacks, use R1 with the Serpent-Hunter (unlike the Storm Ruler, you don't need to use its weapon art to get the special boss-attack) and then if you stagger the boss, give it a nice R2. Dodging his attacks is quite tough, but as always, you'll just have to learn the rhythm over time.

Now, Mt. Gelmir is a little on the linear side - kind of a spiral path up the mountain - so I don't actually know how much I've truly skipped, but I might explore there a bit more. Basically, I want to beef up a bit more before returning to Mountaintop of the Giants.

I think there are far more optional bosses in this game than mandatory ones, but I'd like to do as much of a "full clear" as I can before I get to the end. Rykard isn't a mandatory boss, but he is a demigod with a Great Rune and a Remembrance.

Anyway, Rykard is also maybe the nastiest boss in terms of aesthetic I've come across (Godrick the Grafted of course is also pretty gross as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment