Thursday, August 13, 2020

Adventures vs. Winota - Deck Archetypes that I Prefer

 The two most recent decks I've made that conform to a certain metagame archetype are a Red/White (as well as a Red/White/Black version) deck centering around Winota, Joiner of Forces, and another deck that revolves around Adventures.

I've found the Adventure one is a lot more consistent, and I think I also enjoy it better. Here's why I think that is:

The Winota deck is built around drawing that card. It's a bit fiddly - you need to have a board with as many non-human creatures as you can ready to go before you play her, preferably on turn four. If you can get two or three non-humans attacking when she comes out, you're in pretty good shape for the rest of the game.

The thing is, if you don't draw her, or if you find yourself against a removal-heavy deck that prevents you from building any board presence, the deck just breaks.

Wins with Winota decks are big wins, and most of the time if you lose, it's a sort of pathetic loss.

Now, the actual win ratio isn't really something I've kept track of, but I'd say it's decent (like most of these situations, I don't have the super-ideal set of cards, as I'm spending all my money on gems to buy packs to build up wildcards.)

The Adventure deck, on the other hand, feels a bit more consistent, largely because there's no single card that makes the deck function.

Sure, Lucky Clover is a pretty huge force-multiplier in this deck, but the various adventure creatures themselves are already not too bad on their own. The whole adventure mechanic adds value to the creatures they come with, so you've already got some nice pieces for your deck.

Even though I've lost to some high-speed red aggro decks (that dwarf king dude is my bane) or some nasty board-wiping control decks (wait, no, Ugin is my bane) that hit me before I can take the opponent down, for the most part, the deck feels just solid and high-value, which to me is the most satisfying type of deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment