Monday, August 3, 2020

An Obsession with Cycles

I recently realized that I have one of each of the legendary artifacts from Throne of Eldraine.

Eldraine's world is built on cycles - rather than a conflict between the colors, Eldraine's primary conflict is between the Realm and the Wilds. The five castles that represent the bastions of the Realm correspond with the five colors, and are places of Arthurian chivalry, just with a focus on each color's best virtues (for instance, White's Castle Ardenvale values loyalty while Black's Castle Locthwain values relentlessness, but they're all loyal to the king (despite the king and his queen both being in white, though the king's older children, apparently from an earlier marriage, are planeswalkers, one red and one blue - though their combined card is red and blue.)... I think that's a parenthetical in a parenthetical).

Anyway, I only have one of each, but the artifacts are varying in actual power, but each has some cool features. They each cost two colored mana of the appropriate variety and then a rather steep amount of colorless mana (the black artifact, the Cauldron of Eternity, costs 10BB) but each has a feature that reduces the cost by an amount relevant to the artifact's ability, allowing you to often cast it for just two, or maybe a little more.

The Great Henge, the green artifact, has seen a lot of play in the current green-friendly metagame, but Embercleave, the red artifact (which is also an equipment) is highly effective in any red aggro decks that go wide.

Anyway, it's funny to me that I have a single copy of each of these artifacts, yet with another one of the major cycles - the rare Castle lands - I have four copies of the red Castle Embereth, and not a single copy of any of the others.

MTG has always done cycles - sometimes they're tiny ones like two-color mini-cycles (the first cards I remember seeing were Blue Elemental Blast and Red Elemental Blast, which were mirrors of one another that, incidentally, can also both destroy Nicol Bolas) and most often they're five-color cycles. Ravnica saw ten color-pair cycles thanks to the guilds (take the shock lands, for instance).

Anyway, there's a very strong urge I feel to try to complete these cycles, even if some members are more powerful than others (I see the Great Henge often, but almost never see anyone playing with the Cauldron of Eternity or the Circle of Loyalty).

So naturally I've now got a Knight-based deck that uses the Circle of Loyalty and Embercleave... I feel like I should probably throw the Cauldron of Eternity in there as well, as it's a... Mardu (I had to look that up, as a simultaneously old-school and also noob player, I think of that as Savai now) deck and I like conceptual symmetry.

I also tossed the Magic Mirror into by Ominous Seas deck, given how focused it is on card-drawing (though having a way to shuffle by graveyard back into my library would be useful against mill decks.)

And naturally the Great Henge has made it into any of my green decks focused on big creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment