Saturday, August 15, 2020

Either the Casual Metagame on Arena is Really Weird or I'm Just Having Odd Strings of Luck

 While my Ketria... Temur Adventures deck was slaying for a good long while, in recent days it's been encountering some mixture of bad luck or just decks built to destroy it - even as some lucky Eldraine packs have given me more of the choice pieces. Wishing to break a losing streak to rival my earlier winning streak, I jumped around to some of my other decks - going back to Green Stomps, Heliod mono-white, Dimir Flash Nightmare, and Winota - though my initial experiences suggested that R/W was the right color combination for Winota, returning to the Savai... Mardu set-up proved, over the last few games, to be far more effective (that does seem to be favored in the meta, but I was having mana problems earlier.)

While we've got a new board to play on thanks to Amonkhet Remastered (and some intense music to go with it) the actual card set is Historic-only, which is not a format I've gotten into (I suspect that when the new Standard arrives, I'll happen to find that a lot of my old cards only work in Historic, and might be drawn toward that format - though likely not Winota or Adventures (and, come to think of it, Green Stompy), as these are mostly made of recent cards, except the Shocklands - here's hoping we get some good dual-lands in Zendikar Rising, which seems likely given that it's the land plane.)

I'm trying to be a good boy and not blow a bunch of cash on more digital cards until ZR comes out - though I'm intending to go hard and get a "box" worth of 50 packs when that comes out to hopefully give me a decent array of its good rares/mythics (I know previews are still a ways off, so I reserve the right to adjust my plan accordingly.)

My sense of the 2020 standard releases... or is it the 2021 standard? Why does Core Set 2021 come out in 2020, and why did 2020 come out in 2019? I mean, I understand wanting to pretend this year is over already, but...

Back to my point: of the sets to come out in the last standard cycle, my sense is that Throne of Eldraine has the most powerful cards, even discounting Oko (who was bah-roken, and that's before I was even playing Arena,) when you take into account Questing Beast, Lovestruck Beast, The Great Henge, Embercleave, etc. The Titans out of Theros seem to both be pretty good, but I don't see a ton of TBD-based decks thriving (though my Selesnya Enchantment-based deck is actually a lot of fun, even if I don't know if I'd call it "powerful.")

Ikoria definitely brought some serious power with Winota, but I think there are also a fair number of quite strong cards in there (the Dimir Flash-enabling Slitherwisp is a lot of fun.) Naturally, we'll have to see how these interact with new cards.

I actually really like the theme of the Basri cards, though I don't think it's quite strong enough to overshadow the healing-style decks enabled by Heliod, Daxos, and Ajani's Pridesmate.

I never played Zendikar in either of its blocks, so I'm now thinking I should go through the mechanics and see what I imagine we can expect in the coming set. I know that this set is meant to be emphatically post-Eldrazi (as I'm given to understand that the Eldrazi, while cool from a non-player's perspective, kind of broke the feel of the original setting.)

Well, look forward to that post coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment